Monday, August 02, 2004

Carrot/Corn 2004

Good Ol' PETA. They are running a tough campaign, but I don't see them winning against Bush, Kerry, or Nader.
In other news I wrote a thank you letter to a retired Pastor who gave me the complete works of Martin Luther! Good stuff. I'm reading Leslie Stevenson's book, "Seven Theories of Human Nature" which critiques Christianity, Freud, Lorenz, Marx, Sartre, Skinner, and Plato. I think Leslie doesn't get Freud quite right. The book was pretty fair to Christianity, though these are some many Christianities out there than the critiques were REALLY broad. Did introduce me to something new, Christian Atheism. God as foundational reality. Eh.
I'm surprised no one has wrote a response to my thoughts about Liberation Theology and Lutheranism. Here is some more thoughts. Liberation Lutherans should co-opt Marx's justification for the need of a party, that is to "ease the birth pains" (though I think Marx was actually influenced by Christianity in this respect) to justify their need to act in a social justice minded way. If we throw away the Catholicish idea of Realized Escotology and replace it with a Prefigurative Escotology then the goal of the church is not to live in the kingdom now, but instead to be a midwife to rapture (as opposed to Marx's "midwife to history"). Why shouldn't the church agree with Marx that "it is always wrong to treat any human being as only a means to an economic end." At any rate the key to unlocking the power of the Christian Church's involvement in Liberation Theology can only come clear when the Hetrodox belief of Realized Escotology is replaced with a Lutheran Pre-figurative Escotology, which makes the Church catholic into the midwife of rapture.
Eh, I'm not being very clear yet. As my good friend Robert has learned to say "I'm still in process."
More later, off to call Philly and see if they would let me tour their Seminary.
Peace,
Chris

1 comment: