Monday, November 29, 2004

I had a dream

Okay, actually it wasn't a dream, it was more of a flash of insight. I was reading "Sufis of Andalusia" and I realized over Thanksgiving break I had read something like 6-700 pages of Islamic/Jacksonian/Enlightenment text in the past 3 days. That made me brissle and stop concentrating on those wild Sufis for a few minutes. That's when my brilliant idea hit. First I thought, I'm not going straight to Seminary, I'll be burnt out on School work by then. Then I thought, what will I do for the year off if I don't go to Kenya? See the world, I thought. Then I thought, no, see America. Then I calculated out how much it would cost to fly to every state in the Union, $15,000 or so, I thought, wow less than a year of college at many places. Then the real epiphany came. What if I could convince the federal government to set up a flying federal college! That is, what if I could create some sort of National program for the best and the brightest Freshmen in the US that would be the equivalent of their first year of college, but instead of being a traditional college they would see every state in the union, for history classes actually see US battle site, for geology classes see Yellowstone, etc. If done well it could be a great program, it would foster an academic American Nationalism that transcends regional boundaries within the best and brightest of America's youth (aka bright blue state kids would see and respect the red states as well as the blue state, and bright red state kids would see and respect the blue states as well as the red states.) So future generations would see America as one big state, not a lot of little bickering political regions.
Well, that was my big idea for the day.
Peace,
Chris

No comments: