Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Boxing Day is now my new curse word

So, I tried to take the train from London to Audley End on Boxing Day. It was very strange, went to the station, it's empty except for an express shuttle to Stansted airport. I call my boss to see if I can get a lift from Standsted, am going to buy a ticket, my phone dies. Then when the phone is back in operation it tells me it has no more minutes on it. I ended up taking a few bus trips back and forth from Kate's flat (the missionary who I was visiting for Christmas in London) to Liverpool station, to charge my phone, pick up my bags, etc. Finally I leave for Stansted airport, get picked up there by Sarah W. and am back home in time to wash clothing and pack my bags for Germany.
New Years will be Auf Der Deutch!
Peace and a late Merry Christmas
Chris
PS I finished reading Bultmann's "Christ and Mythology" it was interesting in that it talks about not just demythologizing explicit mythical language (eg the creation stories having more to do with the complete control of the universe by God/marriage than about how the world was made) but also mythical concepts. His example was Escatology, he maintains that it is simply a metephor for explaining how God transcends time and this present time doesn't reflect God.

3 comments:

Judah Gabriel Himango said...

Is Bultmann of the belief that the creation story in Genesis is not literally true?

The problem you run into when you go down that route is that then the whole “sin caused man to fall, and is now in need of a savior” line doesn’t really work. If God didn’t really create humans, and the first humans didn’t sin against God, then there really is no need for salvation from sin; no need for sacrifice for sin, no shedding of blood necessary for forgivness of sin. No need for a Messiah. Such belief underminds our entire theology, both Jewish & Christian.

P.S. Man, you need to get that RSS feed working! :-)

Judah Gabriel Himango said...

Test comment (comments aren’t showing up for some reason)

Anonymous said...

BOXING DAY!