Monday, March 06, 2006

Its all Greek to me

I'm finally translating simple sentance in Greek! It feels like quite an accomplishment!
I have to say Greek is SO much easier than Hebrew. In comparison to Hebrew its bastardized English! I did find it interesting that Kai in Greek means "too, as well, also" in Hebrew it means because, indeed, but etc.
One problem I'm having is getting Greek and Hebrew characters confused when writing them out. For example my Hebrew L's and Greek D's are one and the same, which is fine except I sometimes make dallets instead of deltas and lameds instead of lambdas.
Just thought I'd give a quick update on how Greek's doing, especially since I'm not the only one trying to teach themselves.
Peace,
Chris

4 comments:

Judah Gabriel Himango said...

So Chris, do you speak Greek & Hebrew? Heck, even writing Greek OR Hebrew makes me envious. :)

My extent of Hebrew is some very basic words, some prayers, and the aleph bet. Beyond that I'm a newb. :)

Andy Kaylor said...

Yeah, it is pretty cool how quickly you can do something useful.

What resources are you using?

Christopher said...

I studied Hebrew for two years at U of Oregon. I can read/write/and occasionally spout off a few lines, of Hebrew. As for Greek I'm teaching myself using Peter Jones' "Learn Ancient Greek" which is a book filled with weird British Humor. I'm through 21 pages of the book and have 9 pages of notes.
Peace,
Chris

Andy Kaylor said...

Ah, ancient Greek. Good luck with that. If I ever master Koine, I might move on to classical.

I think used a book by Peter Jones during my (mostly) failed attempt to learn Latin a couple of years ago.