Saturday, August 19, 2006

Candidacy Committee

Yesterday I put on my old High school debate power-suit, went to Denver with my dad (I was so nervous for this meeting that I forgot my shoes and had to duck into a Goodwill once we got to Denver to find a pair of shoes) and was re-interviewed by my Candidacy Committee. They thought I’d worked through my "issues" related to my heart surgeries and some other things really well. That said they felt like my going to Cambridge to do an M.Phil. was a really weird way of telling them I’m serious about ordination. So they told me to go to Cambridge, throw myself into academia and suck the life out of it, and, if I still feel called to be a Pastor the door will still be open for another interview next August 18th.
I’m a little disappointed, but the Bishop and the rest of the Committee handled things with tact and dignity, so I’m going to go ahead and take their advice and push all thoughts of Parish Ministry out of my head for a year… I’m a little worried that will be like a polar bear convincing itself that eating tofu is natural, but we’ll see.
Peace,
Chris

2 comments:

Dr.John said...

I am glad therew as no candicay committee bac k when I decided to be a pastor.

Chris Duckworth said...

I have had more meetings with my Candidacy Committee than I care to remember. In my first time through Candidacy several years ago, I was at the receiving end of several official and "unofficial" decisions to postpone my entrance. I'll send you an email (to the email that's listed on your blog) with gory details and thoughts I'd rather not post on a blog . . .

blessings,
LZ