Friday, March 23, 2007

Deep Thought Friday: If you can’t describe it while playing pool…

A few days ago I knew exactly what I was going to say about Philippians 3:4b-14. I’d read a whole bunch of commentaries, I was going to talk about how all things must become “skybala,” that is shit, that we might gain Christ. It all made good sense in my head, then I went to St. Ed’s to play a game of pool. As per usual I started talking about what I was up to, and talked about the Cloud of Unknowing and how covering the physical with said cloud leads to the cloud above parting. It makes no real discernable sense outside a monastic context, yet I was going to preach it on a Sunday.
So, word up, if you can’t preach something authentically while shooting pool you can’t preach something authentically.
Peace,
Chris

No comments: