Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A reminder—The ELCA has a statement on Race, Ethnicity, and Culture



            So, you may have heard about the president’s speech on his experience of racism and how most of the African American community has heard the Travyon Martin verdict.
            One line in his speech that particularly caught my attention was:
             “There has been talk about should we convene a conversation on race.  I haven't seen that be particularly productive when politicians try to organize conversations.  They end up being stilted and politicized, and folks are locked into the positions they already have.  On the other hand, in families and churches and workplaces, there's the possibility that people are a little bit more honest, and at least you ask yourself your own questions about, am I wringing as much bias out of myself as I can?  Am I judging people as much as I can, based on not the color of their skin, but the content of their character?  That would, I think, be an appropriate exercise in the wake of this tragedy.”
            With the president’s call to church communities and to families in mind, now would be a fine time to review the ELCA’s 1993 statement on Race, Ethnicity, and Culture. To view this document click here.

No comments: