Sunday, April 04, 2004

Well. I translated the first two pslams. Here they are in all their ambiguity

Psalm 1
Happy is the man/ Who does not go as the wicked advise
He does not stand upon the path of the wicked/ nor sit upon the scoffer’s couch
For only in the LORD’s law does he take delight/ and he chant’s His law day and night
He is a wooden corpse planted into an underground stream of water
Because his fruit is given up at the time/ his foliage is not kindling
And all that is formed of him is useful
Not so for the wicked/ because they are as chaff blow away in the wind
Thus the wicked shall not be erect in judgment/ and sinners will not stand as the righteous
Because the LORD knows the way of the righteous/ the way of the wicked shall not stand

Psalm 2
Why are the nations agitated/ and the nations mumble in vain?
The kings of the earth fortify/ the diplomats conspire together
Against the LORD and against his anointed
They tear to pieces their fetters/ they throw off their binding
He That Dwells in Heaven laughs/ the Lord derides them
He responds to them in anger/ they chose a swift retreat
I have baptized my king/ upon Zion, my holy mountain
I wrote God’s decree
The LORD said to me, “You are my son/ Today I have born you.
Ask from me
The boundaries of the nations are yours/ your property is to the ends of the earth.
Yours is a roaring rod of iron/ and all the pottery is smashed.
Now the kings understand/ the chiefs of the land are removed
They serve in fear of the LORD/and rejoice with trembling
Kiss the son
Or else he will be on the road to anger/ a trifle spark will set him off
(Blessed) are all who find compassion in him

No comments: