Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Personal Piety

Kevin (potential catholic priest who lives across the hall from me) and I have decided to become a little more serious about prayer. We're going to start praying each morning. Today we flipped around in the LBW using 3 differant services. Since then I've typed up a new liturgy of morning prayer for us. Join along if you feel so inclined!
Here it is:

"God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit watch over me. Amen.
silent reflection
Almighty God, merciful Father:
I, a troubled and penitent sinner, confess to you
All my sins and iniquities with which I have offended you
And for which I justly deserve your punishment.
But I am sorry for them, and repent of them,
And pray for your boundless mercy.
Fort he sake of the suffering and death of your Son, Jesus Christ,
Be gracious and merciful to me, a poor sinful being;
Forgive my sins,
Give me your Holy Spirit for the amendment of my sinful life,
And bring me to life everlasting, Amen.
In the Mercy of almighty God, Jesus Christ was given to die for us, and for his sake God forgives us all our sins. To those who believe in Jesus Christ he gives the power to become children of God and bestows on them the Holy Spirit. Amen
Holy God, holy and mighty, holy and immortal,
Have mercy and hear us.
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.
Scripture
I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, or Lord. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
O Lord, I cry to you for help./In the morning prayer comes before you.
Give me the joy of your saving help again,/And sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
Let my mouth be full of your praise/And your glory all the day long.
Every day will I praise you,/And praise your name forever and ever.
Awesome things will your show us in your righteousness/O God of our salvation, O hope of all the ends of the earth and of the seas that are far away.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,/And all that is within me, bless his holy name.
He redeems my life from the grave,/And crowns me with mercy and lovingkindness.
Lord, hear my prayer,/And let me cry before you.
Individual petitions
We give thanks to you, heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ your dear Son, that you have protected us through the night from all danger and harm. We ask you to preserve and keep us, this day also, from all sin and evil, that in all our thoughts, words, and deeds we may serve and please you. Into your hands we commend our bodies and souls and all that is ours. Let your holy angels have charge of us, that the wicked one have no power over us. Amen
Let us bless the Lord.
Thanks be to God.
The Lord almighty order our days and our deeds in his peace. Amen.

1 comment:

LutheranChik said...

That'll work.;-)

I am not that creative most of the time...I generally follow the Daily Office of the Book of Common Prayer (for one thing, it's less cumbersome than the LBW, and since I don't sing it I find the musical notation a distraction). You too might also want to check out Sacred Space , a devotional website kept by Jesuits in Ireland, that's based on the Ignatian practices of examen and lectio divina. Oh...and for another online daily liturgy try http://www.oremus.org.

And...check out Open Thou Our Lips , a blog some friends and I have just started...we've mostly been talking about the Daily Office, but it's relevant to anyone keeping and daily spiritual practice.