Monday, May 15, 2006

Chris Halverson Unplugged

Had a bit of a scare during my RYPpers (Rural Youth Project) worship service. I have this whole "Jonah" sermon/power point presentation that I intened to give to them. Then the projector and computer broke. I had no notes, no cute slides of whales, nothing. Still I was able to preach for 40 minutes using only brains, bible, heart, and Holy Spirit. Among other things I've found my quirky sense of humor comes out a lot more when there are no notes (I referenced Monty Python probably 7 times... apparently the worm that eats Jonah's plant goes "Neep, neep")
Peace,
Chris

2 comments:

Dr.John said...

I was doing the gospel of Peanuts with an overhead projector when the bulb birned out. A sense of humor does go a long way.

Anonymous said...

you referred to monty python about 12 times. and tried to get laughs on jokes a second time that didn't get laughs the first time. you not be proud of preaching for 40 minutes. like i said, that goes beyond sermom (at least for lutherans) and into lecture.

and now for some constructive criticism: read the entire book, not you personally, involve the kids, and then do your explanation highlighting key phrases/passages.

kd