Monday, May 08, 2006

I AM

I've written a brief play/presentation about the Trinity for Pilots, the URC youth group. What do you think? How can I make it better? More doctrinally sound? Should I add a refrain about the Godhead in which all three characters speak at once?
Peace,
Chris

FATHER: I am the creator of the universe. Before the world was, I am. I know every hair on your heard. I formed you form the mud of the earth. I chose Abraham and his descendents to be my people, making a promise to him that I shall keep. I was with Moses in the desert and on the mountain. I rebuked David for his sin,and comforted him for his lose. I went with my people to Babylon and brought them home.
Then I led my only son Jesus to the cross and death, and brought him back from death to new life that all of you may follow. I am God the Father.
SON: I am the redeemer. When the Father spoke at the start of creation I was his Word. I came into the world as you did, a human child, born in a stable at the edge of the Roman Empire. When I came of age I was baptized by John and then started to talk to people about the things of life. I said people should love God. I said people should see themselves in others and love them accordingly. I said religion is about worshiping my Father, not being unflexable and having power. I thought all the world should be freed from sin, death, and the devil, and so I hung out with people considered unwanted. I healed the sick, and even raised a friend from the dead. When I was in Jerusalem I disrupted worship in a temple. After that I was killed on a cross.
That wasn’t the end of me though. I conquered death by coming back from the dead in glory. I told the people I hung out with to continue my work and that I would return. I am God the Son.
SPIRIT: I am the sustainer. At the beginning of things I hovered over the uncreated universe and after the Father had fashioned you He breathed me into you, giving you life.
When the Son’s cousin, John, baptized him came to him in the form of a dove and I declared him the Son of God.
After Jesus was resurrected and returned to heaven I came to his companions, the disciples. I came to them so they could communicate to others that Jesus lived, died, and rose again, in any language. The book of Acts says if you are Baptized you shall receive me. I am with Jesus’ followers to this day, leading them to follow him. I am God the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of having all 3 speak together at the end, tying the 3 into one.