Friday, December 30, 2022

Books in 2022

Series:

This year was a year of reading multivolume works. I finally completed Robert Jordon’s 14 volume “Wheel of Time” series, a series I read in Junior High and High School but never finished (I gave up on the series after what seemed to be a blatant Deus Ex Machina).

I also read Hilary Mantel’s “Wolf Hall” Trilogy, and Brandon Sanderson’s “Mistborn” Trilogy.

I made a valiant attempt to read both Douglas John Hall’s “The Faith” Systematic Theology trilogy and Andrew Root’s “Secular Age” trilogy (until I realized it is an ongoing series with at least five volumes, so far). I intend to finish reading the Douglas John Hall books in the new year, and will read the third Root book then too, but won’t be picking up the other 2 or 3.

Fiction:

There were two works of fiction that stuck out for me. One was Tendai Huchu’s The Library of the Dead, a young adult alternative history/horror book. The other was The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk, a granola hippie pagan classic I can’t believe I never ran into while at the U of O.

Non-Fiction:

I read The Warmth of Other Suns for the New Jersey Synod’s book club and was so taken by it I’m currently re-reading it in order to facilitate discussion at a local library’s book club. Additionally, Chernow’s Grant biography was both thick and good.

No comments: