Thursday, September 28, 2023

Sermon: Harmony of Word and Deed


Harmony of Word and Deed

 

            There is something interesting going on with the connections 
between our words and our deed 
in today’s readings. 

            God admonishes Ezekiel 
for using words from scripture 
at the wrong time and place.

            “By what authority?” 
they ask Jesus, 
and he returns the favor, 
and tells the tale 
of words and actions 
being out of sorts
—I will go… 
and he does not go… 
I will not go… 
and he goes.

            And then, Paul encourages the Philippians 
to match not only their words and deeds, 
but also their worship, 
by making reference to one of the earliest Christians hymns, 
the Christ hymn, 
that beings: 
He gave up his grip on Godhood, 
So he would have no advantage…”

 

            Paul hopes that:
the voice of their worship, 
the thoughts of their hearts and heads, 
and their lives lived in the church and out
Will be harmonious.

            What he is getting at 
is worship, belief, and life 
all being played from a single score
Worship, Belief, and Life 
all a single song.

 

Prayer

            “By what authority?” 
Is not just a question in Jesus’ day… 
it’s the question on the mind of many folk 
when they run into any Religion these days
And when they encounter the Church specifically
—when they hear Christians talking about the faith, 
or just as often commenting, about the lives of others… 

 

            It would be a mistake 
if we thought that question, 
“By what authority?” 
is asking a doctrinal question, 
or a worship question… 

            They’re asking a life question… 
how do those thoughts of yours, 
those things you do in worship, 
whatever it is that goes on at Church
shape your life
            So, let’s go there, 
how does what we do 
on a Sunday morning, 
matter? 

Now, I can’t answer that for you, 
but I can for myself…

            Because of Christian worship I: 
value and can navigate community, 
have an increased sense of self-worth, 
have tools to get over slights and make sense of life, 
and am more content, generous, and gentle.

 

            I am better at being in community
because of Christian worship.

            I trust Christ’s promise 
that when we gather together 
he is here among us… 
I believe together 
we are Christ’s body in the world.

            I experience this reality every time we gather together.

            I don’t know if you’ve noticed, 
how people in our society are doing community these days 
(check out a school board or borough meeting sometime)
—but the possibility 
that Church could help people value community more 
and navigate is better, 
is good news.

 

            I have an increased sense of self-worth
because of Christian worship.

            I believe that God chose 
not to grasp onto godhood 
in order to be one of us. 
I trust that the God we find in Jesus Christ 
values us so much 
that he loves us to the end and beyond the end.

            I experience this every time I touch the waters in the font 
and remember I am a baptized Child of God!

            There are plenty of folk 
struggling with a sense of their own dignity and self-worth… 
come to the water!

            

            I am equipped to get over slights
because of Christian worship.

            I believe that God is 
a Relentless Forgiver and Fearless in Reconciling… 
in fact, we Christians 
are called to be ambassadors of God’s ongoing reconciliation 
with & of 
the whole world!

            Today we began this service with confession and forgiveness, 
there I experience that wave of reconciliation 
that is over covering the world.

            This world could use some practice at reconciling
—could learn to repent of wrongs and, 
repair breaches, 
forgive the failings of others and ourselves… 
the world would be a better place 
if the human impulse for revenge was blunted.

            

            I have some tools that help me make sense of life
because of Christian worship.

            I have faith that God’s story 
is one of ongoing faithfulness… 
that the stories of scripture 
help me to understand my story and our story… 
God’s stories call on me 
to seek righteousness and justice… 
and it is ultimately a love story.

            I experience these sacred stories 
every time we gather together 
and seek a word of the Lord.

            Having time honed stories 
that offer ways to make meaning, 
getting to practice telling and hearing our stories… 
there is much freedom in this!

 

            I am more content
because of Christian worship.

            I believe all that I have 
is a gift from God. 
God provides all things that are necessary and nourishing for this life. 
Because this is true, 
we humans ought to live as stewards of creation and our existence, 
not consumers or careless tenants.

            I experience this contentment, 
because we have a habit of thankfulness; 
every Sunday we affirm that 
it is right and salutary 
to give God thanks and praise.

            The average person 
is bombarded with so many messages 
of scarcity, 
disappointment, 
and obligation. 
Truly it can be a radical act 
to count your blessings.

 

            I am more generous
because of Christian worship.

            I believe that the small sip of wine 
and mere touch of bread of the Holy Meal 
is participation in the commerce of the City of God. 
I trust that God has first acted generously
—offering his very self, 
and I am now freed to respond in kind
however imperfectly.

            I experience a moment of absolute generosity 
in Holy Communion, 
the Body and Blood of God Incarnate.

            “There is no such thing as a free lunch,” 
is a reality for so many, 
“Taste and see that the Lord is good,” 
is a transformative hope.

 

            I am gentler
because of Christian worship.

            I trust that the road to Emmaus 
was not a onetime event, 
that we do in fact entertain angels unaware, 
that God is present 
in the last, lost, and least.

            I experience a charge 
to be aware of the holiness of other people, 
every time we are sent out from this sanctuary.

            I’ve lost count of the number of people 
who have described their day to day 
as dehumanizing and disconnected. 
They feel like they have grown rougher and meaner 
in the last couple of years. 
Yet here
we are polishing that roughness 
and cultivating kindness.

 

            As I said, because of Christian worship I: 
value and can navigate community, 
have an increased sense of self-worth, 
have tools to get over slights and make sense of life, 
and am more content, generous, and gentle.

 

            “By what authority?” 
Before we dare talk about doctrine 
or what we do here on a Sunday morning, 
may those things already shine forth in our lives. 
May our lives, thoughts, and worship 
be harmonious.

            May our worship, belief, and life 
be played from a single score, 
all singing the same song.

A&A

No comments: