Friday, March 03, 2006

Lent Day 2

God listens to us, so let us speak to Him (Ex. 2:24)
God is surprising, so watch always, there will be unexpected things, big and small, baskets and stars. (Ex. 2:5, Mat. 2:2)
God watches always, so act as if the whole world watches, even when alone, and act as if none watch, even when the whole world watches. (Ex. 2:12)
There are many doers of violence and oppression. There are those who face loss of family, country, and life. Pray for all of them. (Ex. 2:12, 15, and 22. Mat. 2:13, and 16-18.)

And I pray:
Lord, even as I pray I ask that I may I trust more fully that You listen, and therefore raise my voice to You.
Lord, may I watch for those in need, and those signs of You. The baskets in the river, they too are from you.
Lord, may I have the firmness of character to act the same alone and unwatched as I would being watched. May I have a consistency born of the humbling fact of my creaturelyness. Father, you always watch, Son you were flesh like me, Spirit, you are with me.
Lord, I pray for the safety of the orphans, exiles, and those threatened with Genocide. May you take away the violence from those who would bring it.
Amen.

1 comment:

Judah Gabriel Himango said...

Chris, I'll admit, I've had to restrain myself from jumping all over these Lent posts. In fact, just before hitting reply here, I asked the Lord to guide what I say, so as not to throw you off course or make you stumble in any way.

So I would like to say this plainly and bluntly: stop celebrating Lent, my friend. We celebrate it because our parents did, and because our church does. Is that all that's need to convince us that it is a holy and sacred observance? If we really are seekers of the truth, then we should seek the truth beyond these superficial veils. Please see my post on Lent.