Saturday, March 20, 2004

Really good day today. After my last final (which it turns out I aced!) I read A Tale of Two Cities. Today I read New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton. Then I started the book about Liberation Theology. I also finished cleaning up my room! One of the best quotes ever is from Two Cities. "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known." !!! Man, read this book then you will understand how powerful this quote is. As for Merton's book... I don't think I'll be a Monk any time soon. His best advice, in my opinion, is "The contemplative who tries to preach contemplation before he himself really knows what it is, will prevent both himself and others from finding the true path to God's peace." Long short... I really liked what he had to say about relationships, basically that you can't know God without knowing other people. Where he gets a little fuzzy is when it comes to hiarchy. He says even though those above you are dumb, and don't really know what is going on you should follow them anyway. Another problem I have with Merton is that he constantly tells you how not to be contemplative, which would be all well and good, but it feels like he does it in a condemning kind of way. He also at one point puts himself higher than Saints, because he thinks saints have too much Ego. My book on Liberation Theology is really good. Right now I'm reading a piece about how 3rd world "layfolk" read the Bible.
Oh, I found a picture of another of my friends from back home, Rosemary Powers.
It was a rather productive day today.
Peace,
Chris

No comments: