Thursday, July 28, 2005

CAFTA

CAFTA
Once upon a time I would travel to the United States. I would work hard there, sweeping Wal-Mart, or doing landscaping, or working at McDonalds. The Americans would give me sneering looks, spit on me occasionally, and the hicks with flag T-shirts would wave guns. Then things changed, I found work in Mexico at an American Auto factory. It was good you know, I was with my people, and I was paid well.
I hear there is another side of this story though, the Americans lost jobs, and they became more like us. It is the equalizing of all things. It is like the end of time. The valleys come up, the hills come down!

1 comment:

LutheranChik said...

I was just watching a travelogue where the host interviewed an American expatriate, a retiree, living la dolce vita in a little fishing village in Portugal. I thought, "There's an idea...when I retire, I'll move to some low-income/low-cost country like that." Then I thought, "Wait -- the way things are going, this is going to be the cheap retirement haven that Mexican, Indian, Chinese, etc., retirees are going to come to to spend their twilight years. So I guess I may as well stay here."