Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I finished "Steppenwolf" today

Steppenwolf was good. He tackles a lot of big ideas, the main one being the multiplicity of personalities/experiences and how they shape the individual, we are all inconsistant with our image of self. I'm sure he would cringe at my use of the term individual and self, because one of Hesse's big points is that modern man has the ability to look upon himself and realize he is not an individual, but a bunch of competing people wrapped up into one body. Another big point was that people often critique one thing as banal without ever experiencing it, then when they do they understand why something is done. That is exemplified by the Steppenwolf's introduction to dancing. There is a definate critique of the culture of learning, at least a version of it that stunts living.
I have to say the last section, when the Steppenwolf goes into the theater, was less than steller
I am also working on a liturgy for when I preach on Jan. 8th at the URC.
Peace,
Chris
PS
Melancthon, I'd love to hear more about what you thought of Hesse's book the two times you read it.

2 comments:

Andy Kaylor said...

Well, it's been six and sixteen years since my readings so my sketch will be somewhat impressionistic.

The first time I read it, as a 20-year old, I saw it as a critique of the conformist mass of society. I liked the mysterious underworld Harry was being lured into. And in some way it was like a call not to repress my animal side but to live.

When I read it again ten years later, the struggle with self was much more vivid. It had previously seemed like a struggle between who Harry wanted to be and who the world wanted him to be, but on the second reading it became clear that they were both really him (and really me). And I was also more aware this second time of Harry's age. He was distinctly older than me and so their was much I didn't understand about him, but it was almost like reading a story about my future self.

Have you read any of Hesse's other work? My favorite is Demian. There's a scene where the narrator is standing outside a church listening to the organ but can't get in because the doors are chained. I'm a sucker for symbolism and this scene just absolutely captivated me.

Christopher said...

I've read Demian, The Journey to the East, and Sidhartha as well as Steppenwolf. I have to say of the three Sidhartha was by far my favorite.
I had forgotten that scene in Demian, very powerful. The piece that sticks to my mind from Demian was the Cain imagery.
I think part of the reason I liked Sidhartha was because 1. it was my first Hesse book 2. when I first read the book I didn't realize Sidhartha was the historical buddha, so when that clicked Sidhartha's conversation with the Buddha absolutely blew me away. The Buddha telling the Buddha that while he appriciates Buddhist teachings he needs to experience and find enlightenment for himself otherwise it will all be empty ritual! When I figured that bit out I was on Cloud Nine for days!
Being 22 years old I was attracted to the anti-conformist aspect of the book, but I was more interested in how the Harry was so entrenched in the conformist bourgios(sp) culture, how he couldn't escape it, even when he being rebelious.
Harry's age struck me too, first because I thought I identified with him so much, yet was so much younger, but also because I do at least have some humility and realize I have yet to experience growing old and the wisdom/experience that gives, its the same feeling I get when I read Yeates; I've never sent a son off to war, I've never married, made love, or been disillusioned with any of the above. I still have a sense of wonder/hope. Of course what really scares me is that when you grow old life settle into becoming stagnant.
I've said too much... At any rate its good to hear another view about Steppenwolf.