Wednesday, October 13, 2004

My thoughts on the 4 debates

Debate 1. Kerry by a mile. Bush was inarticulate, repetitive (He mentioned he was working hard ELEVEN times!), and scared. Kerry on the other hand knew the issues, and set out a serious plan, and generally made the American people remember what a president sounds like.
Debate 2. Cheney and Edwards were quite an even match, still Edwards won by his unveiling of Cheney's abhorrent voting record. Another problem of Cheney was his callous treatment of the Aids issue. Still, Cheney has a certain kind of charm, of course his kind of charm is one only found in a mix between a Piranha and humpty dumpty.
Debate 3. Kerry still wins, though Bush does figure out how to speak. This was probably the debate to judge the two candidates on. One of Bush's biggest problems was his use of the term "Internets" as well as his overall policy points.
Debate 4. I was surprised tonight. Bush spoke pretty well, he still blinks too much, but he did okay. He ducked the Roe v. Wade issue as well as the economy. Whenever the economy was mentioned he responded with No Child Left Behind. I was disappointed with the last question, which was really softball about wives. I would say this one was a draw. I think part of the problem with Kerry is that I've heard his stump speech so many times I'm starting to zone out when he speaks, since I already know what he's going to say.
Kerry/Edwards 3, Bush/Cheney 0, Tied 1.
Now, I'm going to admit I'm a liberal, and so I am really not impartial. Even with my bias I KNOW Kerry won the first debate, Edwards the second, and Kerry the third. This last debate, I'm not sure, part of the problem is that my expectations of Bush talking about domestic issues was below sea level and he gave a C performance and I thought it was good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea..your liberal bias is showing...Kerry won the first, CHENEY won the 2d (think schoolteacher teaching the student on that one), Bush won the 3d, and they tied the fourth.

All Kerry says is "I have a plan." He never articulates.

Paul W

Styria said...

How is it you complain about Bush blinking too much, but say nothing at all about Edwards doing it the whole Vice-Presidential debate?