Monday, March 20, 2017

A review of Trevor Noah's Born A Crime

Born a CrimeBorn a Crime by Trevor Noah
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I definitely recommend Trevor Noah’s “Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood”.
Now, if you’re looking for laughs, being that it is written by a comedian, this is not the book. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of funny analysis and lines, but Trevor covers many serious topics, Apartheid, the criminal system, matriarchy and patriarchy, and both spousal and child abuse.
I love the set up of each chapter, there is a short description of some phenomena in South Africa, followed by the chapter where Trevor interacts with that thing.
One of his best observations is that criminal racial calcification actually made catching him committing a crime harder, because a black and white camera made it appear that the suspect was white, and he wasn’t. I also especially appreciated his descriptions and thoughts on being a consistent outsider.
Again, really interesting, intense, good stuff. Read it!


View all my reviews

No comments: