Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Well, it seems others can now leave comments on my blog! that's really cool. Of course keep your posts respectful and try to keep foul language to a dull roar.
Today I started working on my application for semiary, and I also wrote a quick poem about "enlightenment"
Here it is.

They all want to be enlightened

They want to be mystics.
They talk for hours about rejection of books for the sake of contemplation.
They talk for days about abandonment of self.
They talk for years about individuals phrases and words,
Mere sounds which have penetrated their babbling bubble of words.
Sisters, brothers, comrades, achi, achoti
Enlightenment is like fight club. The first rule of enlightenment is that you don’t talk about enlightenment.
Some say the first rule is “You shall have no other gods before me.”
Others say it is “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt.”
Still others simply say, “Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, The LORD is One.”
These last ones, they are not far from the kingdom of God.
“Hear.”
Hear.
Hear is the first cobblestone upon the way that can not be told.
To extend this truth
To make you listen, to think
I shall use your own dull language:
Still yourself.
Find the silence of The Void Which Hears.
Become the absence of self within the inaction of submission, which is listening.

What do you think about the poem?
I really do like what Merton has to say, but I think this poem is a response to him (along with a whole group of "mystics" here in Eugene).
Well, I'm going to wander outside and read a bit, maybe work more on the essay for Seminary.
Peace,
Chris

No comments: