Thursday, August 25, 2005

Post-Colonial Christianity

The mission event has been good so far. I'm feeling that a lot of the talks are more geared toward 3rd world/non-english speaking missionaries, not folk like me who are going to Europe. We are reading "Whose Religion Is Christianity" a book about Christianity beyond the west. One of the biggest things I learned was that Christianity flourished in Asia and Africa only after both the colonialists and the Western Missionaries left. In countries where the tribal gods were still around Christianity became the dominant religion, where the local god names were not kept Islam took control. Interesting that! I don't really know what to do with that, perhaps Christianity is more adaptable, whereas Islam is more hegomonic and Uniform (though I know there are many syncratic forms of Islam and truly man Islams).
Peace,
Chris

No comments: